Department of Histology and Embryology
Shanghai Medical University
138 Yi Xue Yuan Road
Shanghai 2000032, PRC
Phone: (21) 64178210, 64041900-2027
Fax from USA to China: (603) 962-6556
Zhou or Histology
1993 Ph.D. in Histology & Embryology, Shanghai Medical University
1984 M.D. in Ophthalmology, Hengyang Medical College, Hunan
Mammalian visual system development
Genetics of myopia
Retinal disease and degeneration
- 2000present: Professor: Shanghai Medical University, Department of
Histology & Embryology
- 19971999: Visiting Research Scientist: University of Tennessee, College of
Medicine, Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology
- 1999: Participant, Gordon Research Conference in Quantitative Genetics. Ventura CA
- 19942000: Associate Professor: Shanghai Medical University, Department of Histology & Embryology
- 1993: Workshop for Neuroscience Trainee: Hong Kong Chinese
- 19911996: Lecturer: Nerve Tissue and Nerve Tissue Culture, Shanghai
Medical University, Department of Anatomy
- 19901994: Lecturer Shanghai Medical University, Department of
Histolgy & Embryology
- 19861989: Assistant Shanghai Medical University, Department of
Histology & Embryology
- 19841986: Assistant Hengyang Medical College, Department of
Histology & Embryology
- 19831984: Intern: Shaoyang Hospital, Hunan, P.R.China
GRANTS and FELLOWSHIPS
- 19992001: Principal Investigator NSFC grant: Quantitative genetic study on myopia (in review)
- 20012003: Principal Investigator Shanghai Education Development
Foundation grant: Study on Retinopathy of Prematurity. RMB:110,000
- 20002002: Principal Investigator CNCS (National Human Genome Research
Center in Shanghai) grant: QTLs mapping in mouse eye. RMB:100,000
- 19992002: Principal Investigator, China Medical Board grant:
Mapping Genes that control variation in horizontal cells of mice retina.
- 19992001: Principal Investigator SMU grant: Analysis on variation of
horizontal cells of mice retina. RMB:70,000
- 20002004: Coinvestigator NIH R01 EY12991 grant: Genetic and Epigenetic Control of Eye Growth (subcontract approx. $25,000/year)
- 19992002: Coinvestigator NIH R01 EY13070: Biometric and Functional Studies of the Eye and Retina (subcontract approx. $25,000/year)
- 19961997: Principal Investigator: Ministry of Public Health of China: Development and Regeneration of Retina. 9680934. RMB: 10,000.
- 19951997: Principal Investigator: National Natural Science Foundation of
China. Study on the Effects of bFGF during the Development of Embryonic
Human Retina. 39470243.RMB: 60,000.
- 1995: Huazhan Teaching fellowship from Shanghai Medical University
- 19921993: Principal Investigator: Shanghai Medical University.
Immunohistochemistry Study on the Development of Embryonic Human Retina."
9230276. RMB: 2,000
- 1992: Guanghua Fellowship from Shanghai Medical University
1996 Young Histochemist Award: International Federation of Societies of
Histochemistry and Cytochemistry. Kyoto, Japan.
1995 Advanced Teacher Award granted by Shanghai Medical University
1994 Lecturing Competion Award for Young Teacher from Shanghai Medical University
Council member of Shanghai Society of Anatomy
Society for Neuroscience (USA)
Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
Chinese Society for Neuroscience
Chinese Society of Anatomical Science
Chinese society of Cell Biology
Chinese Journal of Anatomy
Acta Anatomica Sinica
19841996 Medical Histology, Medical Embryology
19911996 Medical Neuroanatomy
19911996 Graduate course in Tissue Culture
Born Oct. 20, 1962, Hunan, P.R. China. Married, 2 children (Xiaoyu and Tim)
- Zhou G and Gu HY (1993) Expression of synaptophysin in developing human
fetal retina. Chinese Journal of Anatomy 16: 477480.
- Zhou G and Gu HY (1993) Advances in the study of retinal developmental. Prog. Anat. Sci. China 24: 118.
- Zhou G (1994) Eye and Ear. In: Textbook of Histology and Embryology. Cheng LZ (ed) People Health Press Beijing, pp. 232242.
- Zhou G, Gu HY. (1994) Differentiation of neurons in the developing
human retina: Immunohistochemical study on neuron-specific enolase. Chinese
Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry 3: 502.
- Zhou G, Xiao HL, She ZJ, Gu HY (1994) Immunohistochemical study on the distribution of Muller cells in retinas. Acta Academiae Medicinae Shanghai
- Zhou G, Li YP, Xiao HL, Gu HY (1994) Immunohistochemical study on the
distribution of synaptophysin in retinoblastoma. Chinese Journal of
Anatomy 17: 108.
- Zhou G, Gu HY (1994) Occurrence and distribution of neurofilament
protein in the retina during the development of the human embryo. Acta
Anatomica Sinica 25: 283.
- Zhou G, She ZJ, and Gu HY (1995) Study on the development of human
embryonic retina in vitro. Acta Academiae Medicinae Shanghai 22: 16.
- Zhou G, Yu W, Wu CS, and Gu HY (1996) Immunohistochemical study on the development of neurons in the human embryonic retina. Acta Histochemical
and Cytochemical 29: 1071XXX.
- Zhou G (1996) Development of Eye and Ear. In: Human Embryology, Liu B (ed) People Health Press, Beijing, pp. 342389.
- Zhou G, Yu W (1997) Development and differentiation of the nervous
system. In: Developmental Neurobiology, Cai WQ (ed) Science and Technology
- Zhou G (1997) Immunohistochemistry Technique. In: Tumor Pathology, Xu LZ (ed) Shanghai Medical University Press Shanghai, pp. 12987.
- Williams RW, Strom RC, Zhou G, and Yan Z (1998) Genetic dissection of retinal development. Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology 9:249255. Online version at www.nervenet.org/papers/RetinaRev98.html
- Zhou G, Williams RW (1998) Eye1 and Eye2: Gene loci that
modulate eye size, lens weight, and retinal area in mouse. Invest.
Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 40: 817825. Online version at www.nervenet.org/papers/Eye1.html
- Zhou G, Williams RW (1999) Mouse models for the analysis of myopia: an analysis of variation in eye size of adult mice. Optom Vis Sci. 76: 408418. Online at www.nervenet.org/papers/OVSMyopia.html
Williams RW, Lu L, Kulkarni A, Zhou G, Airey DC (2000) Neurogenetic analysis of olfactory bulbs in mice: QTLs on chromosomes 4, 6, 11, and 17 modulate growth. Behavior Genetics, in press (August 2000). Online version at www.nervenet.org/papers/OB/OB2000.html
RECENT ABSTRACTS (1997 to present)
- Zhou G, Williams RW (1997) Mapping genes that control variation in eye weight, retinal area, and retinal cell density Neuroscience Abstracts
- Williams RW, Strom RC, Zhou G, Goldowitz D (1997) A QTL analysis of the size and cell composition of the mouse brain. 11th International Mouse
Genome Conference Abstracts:182.
- Williams RW, Strom RC, Zhou G, Airey DC (1998) New QTLs that modulate eye and brain development: comparison of RIs, F2s, and an advanced intercross. Int Mouse Genome Conf 12.
- Williams RW, Strom RC, Zhou G, Goldowitz D, Gilissen EP, Rosen G.
(1998) Mapping genes that control brain size and neuron number: A QTL
analysis of the mouse CNS and retina. FASEB J. 12: A628.
- Zhou G, Peng X, Williams RW (1998) Genetic and environmental factors influencing eye size in mice. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. Suppl. 39: 506.
- Zhou G, Strom RC, Giguere V, Williams RW (1998) Modulation of retinal cell populations and eye size in retinoic acid receptor knockout mice.
Neuroscience Abstracts 24:1033.
- Williams RW, Zhou G (1999) Genetic control of eye size: a novel
quantitative genetic approach. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci Suppl 40: S964.
- Williams RW, Kulkarni AL, Jones L, Zhou G, Airey DC, Lu L (2000) Growth of the olfactory bulbs is modulated by QTLs on chromosomes 4, 6, 11, and 17. Neuroscience Abstracts 26: in press.
Since 11 August 1998
Updated 21 July 2000